Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Up there in the air

I have this theory that I can hear God better in the air.

I’ve spent a lot of time on airplanes this year. For someone whose salary is below the poverty line in my own country, I sure do travel a lot! People say there are some things that only millionaires and missionaries do - flying around the world is one of them. With my latest stop in Turkey, that makes five continents this year alone and something like nine different countries. Every six weeks or so, I’ve had to pack up and board another airplane. And up there in the air, God and me have had the best talks all year.

I don’t know if it’s the change of atmosphere or that feeling of in-betweens that comes with flying that somehow sets my soul more in tune with His. I used to hate that in-between feeling of leaving the familiar and flying somewhere new or leaving somewhere exciting to return to the mundane and all the feelings that come with it. But this year, I’ve learned to love it. It’s there, where my heart is suspended between the known and the unknown, that I am most hungry to hear His voice, to know His direction for me.

And that’s when He speaks.

Up there in the air, in the space in between, I find Him.

I know it won’t always be like this. I won’t always pack up and fly to a foreign country every six weeks. I know I won’t always curl up on airport benches and collect boarding-pass stubs or live out of suitcases and wake up and wonder what country I’m in. I won’t always have the thrill of exploring a new city or the excitement of discovering little coffee shops and wandering through quaint cobblestone streets or boarding buses in the bush bush or watching sunrises in jet-lagged bliss. I won’t always find solace in the clouds.

But for now, but for this season, I do. And when I’m up there with Him, with the world at my feet, and my life condensed to 23 Kilos and a carry-on it seems that the things and the people who really matter seem so much clearer and all those lesser things which my heart chases after down below seem so much smaller in comparison...

in the wake of His still small voice...

up there in the air.
 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...