Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Preparation prayers

I've spent most of my life praying for provision. I suppose perhaps its a byproduct of the type of job I have, of the type of poverty in the countries I've lived in, of coming face to face with the daily reality of need whether it's in my school, in the people we work with on outreach, in the community, on the base, or in my own life.

Recently, though, thinking back on the last few years, I have had a revelation that God always provides.

God ALWAYS provides.

God ALWAYS ALWAYS provides.

Like Heidi Baker says in her book of the same title, there is "always enough". If I look back on my last seven years in ministry, I can say that with complete sincerity. There has always been enough. God has always provided. We've never had to close our doors, never gone hungry, never cancelled projects or plans because of no finances, never turned people away because of a lack of man power. There has always been enough.

But so many times I think we miss God's provision. It comes in unexpected forms, from unknown resources, unplanned strategies. And so lately God has led me to redirect my prayers from those of provision to those of preparation.

"God, prepare us for your provision. Let us not miss it when it comes! Prepare our hearts to receive it in its humblest of forms. Prepare our minds and our hands to make room for it. Prepare us, God, for your provision!"

Would you recognize His provision however humble or grand its form? Would you know His provision if it came in the form of a small boy and his lunch? Would you know it if it came in the form of food falling from the sky? Would you know it if it came in the form of a dinner date with a king? Or a hole in the roof? Or a donkey? Or a prostitute and a basket out her window?

Perhaps we ought to pray less prayers for provision and more like that of David when praying for his people and for a temple that was as yet unbuilt.
"O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers, keep this for ever in the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of your people, and prepare their heart to you" (1 Chronicles 29:18)
May our prayers serve to ever keep God's future blessing in our thoughts and in our imaginations and prepare our hearts for his provision.

Are you prepared for His provision in your life, dear reader?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...