Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thoughts from my bed...

Well, the lung doctor has prescribed me four new much stronger medicines, one of which is some kind of narcotic which sent me into a deep sleep last night, so deep that my mom came in to see if I was still breathing this morning! Here's hoping it works... 

In my heavily drugged state last night, I dreamed of the school of all things! The ELS was on an outing and they went to the wrong place and then they got lost and ate the wrong food. And the whole time I was trying to tell them they were in the wrong place and they were supposed to be eating somewhere else, but they couldn't hear me! It was a nightmare, but I woke up laughing. I think when the ELS starts appearing in my subconscious it's a sign that I need a holiday.

In other news, my mother is in a TV commercial. That's right, my mother. Yep, it's true. I discovered it in the middle of Jeopardy the other night. And she's not just some passerby or a face in the background, she's the main face of the carpet store! What on earth?! People stop her everywhere and ask her if that's her. My mother! Whaaaaaaaaa??? I have so many questions...

Being sick has been a perfect excuse to catch up on Downton Abbey. I'm one season behind and I am so absolutely in love with this show. I love everything about it. The time period, the clothes, the history, the grandmother. And ***spoiler alert*** I love the Matthew and Mary love story. I love the way she goes from this arrogant slightly-slutty sister that you hate at the beginning to this flawed but somehow heart-breakingly beautiful soul that you find yourself cheering for. And I love the way Matthew loves her, flaws and all. Their witty banter and chemistry is perfect. I love it! Season 2 ended so perfectly that I'm afraid to start season 3 in the event that it ruins the perfect ending. I'm torn. What do you think, fellow Downton fans? Is season 3 worth watching?

I've been reading a lot of poetry lately. Perhaps it's my recent Downtown Abbey fixation that inspired it or maybe just the fact that the room I'm convalescing in is full of books. FULL of books. Actually our house is full of books. My family has a bit of a book addiction. This is what the walls of my bedroom here look like… 


…and this is just a bedroom. You should see the office and the family room!

The shelf closest to my bed happens to have a lot of poetry on it and so I've been escaping into the world of poems and verse. And I have found some lovely discoveries. I leave you with one of my current favorites:
Sonnet: On His Blindness by John Milton
When I consider how my light is spent,
    Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide,
    And that one talent which is death to hide,
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
    My true account, lest He returning chide,
    "Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask; but Patience to prevent
    That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
    Either man's work or His own gifts; who best
    Bear His mild yoke, they serve Him best.
        His state
Is kingly. Thousands at His bidding speed
    And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
        They also serve who only stand and wait"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...