Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Overtaken


Hi there, dear reader! Long time no see! 

I've recently started back to running after a long absence and it hurts. Seriously. If I remembered how painful it is to get back to running, I would never have stopped! Ouch! Anyways, since I seem to get my greatest inspiration when I'm running, I'm also starting back to blogging...it's a little rough and choppy. Like with my running, I'm clearly out of practice. But I've got to start somewhere, right?

Anyways, the other day I stumbled upon this verse and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since:

"All these blessings will come upon you and overtake you if you obey the Lord your God." - Deuteronomy 28:2

Have you ever thought about God's blessings overtaking you?

I don't know about you, but usually I think of God's blessings as something I am seeking after, something I'm perpetually trying not to miss. Can you believe that? I know it might sound kind of neurotic but I've been obsessed with not missing God's blessing, always trying to catch it and never quite feeling like I can. It's probably a good thing because it keeps me "on the straight and narrow" but I've never thought about God's blessings overtaking me. When I hear "overtake," I think of someone chasing me down and catching me. Can you imagine God's blessings chasing you down and catching you?! Wow. 

I've been kind of stuck on that thought for the last few days. I don't know why but it feels like the past year I've been desperate to find God's blessing in my life. This year seems to just have been one difficulty after another. While I know that trials and challenges and tragedies are not signs of an absence of God's blessing, it surely does feel that way sometimes. 

And so when everything goes wrong, I start to feel like I'm somehow missing God, like I'm just one step behind, like something must be off or wrong and I'm frantic to figure out what it is.

But the beauty of this promise is the simplicity of the fact that the only thing God requires of us is our obedience. Our simple daily obedience. Our determination to do the thing he's asked us right now. His blessings don't have to be sought out or pursued. They're not conditional on people or results or opportunities. And we never have to worry about missing them or trying to get them back.

So dear reader, may the obsessive, workaholic, sleep-deprived over-achiever inside of you, rest in that this week. You can't escape his blessings!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...