Friday, May 11, 2012

Regret

There are some days that I regret going on the internet. I regret hearing that my friends are visiting all my favorite places and hanging out with my favorite people a million miles away. I regret seeing pictures of things I cannot buy because they don't ship to Africa. I regret reading recipes of stuff I cannot cook because the people in the grocery store have never heard of those ingredients. 

Today is one of those days.

Today I regret ever seeing a picture of these Hello Dolly Bars

Hello Dolly Bars are a Southern staple. Some people call them Seven Layer Bars. In my family we call them Magic Squares. No matter what you call them, they are gooey squares of chocolatey coconuty goodness. And all my favorite childhood memories include these bars. Mom used to make them for everything...parties, potlucks, picnics, whatever. They were her go-to recipe maybe because they were so easy to make (I swear she could make these blindfolded) or maybe just because they were just that good. Or maybe because, like me, she has a weakness for that deadly chocolate/coconut combination. Anyways, I was raised on these bars.

And today, oh how I wish I could bite into one of these. How I wish South African grocery stores sold chocolate chips...or graham crackers...or shredded coconut. How I wish my oven was big enough to hold a 9x13 pan. How I wish I could sit in my mom's kitchen while she whipped up some of these. How I wish I had never ever ever looked at this blog.

Regret.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...