Friday, March 9, 2012

Deeply Loved

Yesterday I woke up with an achey heart. Does that ever happen to you? You know those days that you really, really, really don't want to go to work. You don't want to smile and say a cheery "good morning" to the 23 people you'll pass in the 50 meters between your house and the office. You don't want to laugh at your students' jokes or be the happy, excited, we-can-do-it teacher at the front of the class. You know those days? That was the kind of day I was having yesterday. And as hard as I wished that the world would just slow down and pause for a moment to acknowledge my bad day, it didn't. There were meetings to be done, classes to be taught, conversations to be had, and decisions to be made.

But God knew. He always knows. And while I was busy doing all the things He asked me to do, He was busy "filling my cup". He filled it with people who went out of their way to greet me on the way to school. He filled it with words of encouragement from people I respect. He filled it with well-timed hugs in the hallway. He filled it with surprise gifts and poems. He filled it with old students who reminded me of encouraging words I gave them years ago. He filled it with smiles and chocolate and long conversations and cups of coffee. He filled it with affirmations and jokes and card games and people who show up at my door late at night "just because."

And last night even though I still had an achey heart, as I was laying in bed, I was overwhelmed by the knowledge that I am blessed, truly, truly blessed, and deeply loved. 

Like the Psalmist, I can say, "You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows." (Psalm 27:9).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...