Friday, March 16, 2012

The Clouds

The unique thing about Worcester, the city where I live, is that it is completely surrounded by mountains. Big mountains. Some people call them the Alps of Africa. You can literally turn 360 degrees and see mountains all around. They loom up on every side like giant purple sentinels on the horizon.

But today they are covered in clouds. Thick clouds. Heavy clouds. The kind of clouds that bring the rain. You can hardly see even the faintest outline of the mountains. In fact you wouldn't even know they were there.

This morning I was thinking about clouds. The past week or so, my heart has felt heavy like the clouds on the mountains. We had some bad news this week from one of my dearest friend, and it has been difficult for me. Sometimes when I think about it too much, the sadness feels so thick around me that it is almost suffocating.

Then this morning I was meditating on this verse:
"There is no one like the God of Jeshurun,
Who rides on the heavens to help you
and on the clouds in His majesty.
The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the everlasting arms." - Deuteronomy 33:26-27
Have you ever noticed how many times the Bible describes God coming to us on the clouds? I never thought much about it until recently, but it talks about it over and over again. In Psalm 104:3, it says:
"He makes the clouds his chariot,
and walks on the wings of the wind."
Isn't that an amazing thought? It doesn't say that God comes in the most perfectly beautiful of clear blue skies or that he floats to us on sunshine and rainbows. It says He comes in the clouds, the storms, the windy, dark and dreary days. And not only does he come with them, He rides on them. Like a chariot, He is in control of them. The clouds and the storms are the vehicles that usher in His presence.

Yesterday the clouds of my current circumstances were thick and heavy around me, and the horizon of the future was so darkened by the clouds that I couldn't see beyond the difficulties of this moment. And then I got this revelation, that He comes on the clouds. In the midst of this storm is the place where we can find the sweetness and comfort of His presence that we long for, and it is the place where we can feel Him nearer than ever before.

Do you have clouds over your life right now, dear reader? Does the future seem dim and bleak at best? Hold on. Hold fast. Hope in Him. He is in control. Those very clouds are the means to bring Him to you.

"...and underneath are the everlasting arms."

1 comment:

Ji said...

Amen.. I love this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...