Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Whys

Why? That's a question I ask a lot.

You know that annoying student in class who perpetually makes you explain things like four different ways till they get it? Yep, that's me. The other day in Afrikaans class - yes, I had my first Afrikaans class! So exciting! (Well, after three years, it was about time.) Anyways, the other day in Afrikaans class, I couldn't understand the function of one word in the sentence and the teacher couldn't really explain it. I kept asking "why," until she finally said, "That's just the way it is."

It's the same in my relationship with God. I spend a lot of time asking "why." I want to understand what He is thinking. I want to know His purpose, His plan, His vision. And more times than not, like my Afrikaans teacher, He can give me no answer...or somehow in His great omniscience He chooses not to give me one.

A lot of my conversations with God lately have been consumed with this "why". I want an explanation. I want to know where all this is going. I want to know that there is a purpose in these situations that I am walking through. And today I read these words that Jesus prayed,

"Yes, Father, for it was your good pleasure." (Matthew 11:26)

Sometimes the only answer to the all the why's in my heart is this simple truth, it was His good pleasure. That's all. There is no explanation. There is no answer. He gives no reason or "why". Only that it was His good pleasure.

Or as another version says, "For so it seemed good in Your sight."

Maybe you dear reader, like me, cannot see beyond the difficulty and the pain and heartache of this moment. And it's hard to imagine how one could ever call all of this "good." But we have this hope - we can trust that the God who sees the end from the beginning, for whom not a sparrow falls to the ground but that He sees it, the One who holds our future in His hands, the One who calls us His beloved - He saw all of this and somehow saw that in the end...it was good.

So when there are no answers, when all my cries and demands for explanations are met with silence, there is nothing left for my heart to say, but "Yes, Father."

"Yes, Father, I accept all that you give into my hands."

"Yes, Father, I believe that all you do is good."

"Yes, Father, for it was your good pleasure."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...