Saturday, February 11, 2012

I had plans

I had great and glorious plans yesterday to write a fabulous blog post that's been running around in my head for the last few days. I was all set to spend my Friday afternoon jogging, doing laundry, making pizza, and then settling down with a cup of coffee and finally doing some serious blogging.

I had plans.

Instead, I spent the afternoon and evening and early the next morning at the hospital (well two hospitals...it's a long story) with a friend. Yeah, I HAD plans.

Public hospitals in South Africa leave much to be desired. I was scared just to sit on the chairs in the waiting room, that's how dirty it was! There are a surprisingly large amount of official people running around. However very few of them seem to be actual nurses or to be helpful at all. On top of that, everybody is wearing scary police-like uniforms, complete with shoulder pads and brass pins. They were scary. Oh, and there is a lot of waiting involved. A LOT of waiting. The poor kid across from us came in with a big cut in his head and waited for six hours just to be looked at!

During the long wait, I had plenty of time to think. I thought about life. I thought about pain. I thought about grief. I thought about how much I need to learn Afrikaans. I thought about how ridiculously good-looking the surgeon is (seriously, it might have been because I've watched way too many episodes of Grey's Anatomy or just because it was midnight and I hadn't eaten or slept for a while, but I could swear he was like Worcester's very own McDreamy). I thought about how many times I've been to the emergency room with friends...oh the stories I could tell! That led to thinking about how poorly suited I am to be a doctor or to even be near blood for that matter. But mostly I thought about how desperately I wanted a cup of coffee...or a bed.

Needless to say the first thing on my agenda for next week is to find out what my health-insurance policy is (to make sure I never have to be in a public hospital), then sign up for Afrikaans classes, do my laundry (I may or may not currently be wearing my underwear inside out), and finally write that fabulous blog post I've been promising. At least, that's the plan...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...