Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Making Cookie Memories

Today was Christmas-cookie making day at our house.

The tradition of making Christmas cookies goes back to my Aunt Ceil, who isn't really my aunt or my blood-relative at all, but is pretty much my other grandmother. And every Christmas for as along as I can remember, she and I got together to make Christmas cookies. She was the one who first taught me how to mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, how to chill the dough, how to roll it out to the perfect thickness and then load the cookies with frosting and sprinkles and red-hots.

When high-school came along and our lives became too busy, I inherited all the Christmas cookie cutters and continued the tradition, always setting aside a few cookies to take to my Aunt Ceil. All my Christmas memories include Aunt Ceil and being at her house at Christmastime.

These days she is very sick, and as I carry-on the Christmas cookie tradition with my nieces, I'm thinking of my dear Aunt Ceil and sending prayers her way. I hope you will too.

Anyways, back to the cookies. It all started with this dough, which I like because it's not too sweet and it's nice and fluffy - kinda like those frosted sugar cookies you get at Sam's Club. Remember those? Yum.


Then we rolled it out.


Yeah, I pretty much fluctuate between pajamas and gym clothes or sweatpants during holiday. Don't judge.


Next we cut them out.


Everything is bigger in America including cookie cutters apparently, because these teeny tiny ones were the biggest we could find here in our little German village.

Then it was time for sprinkles. Lots and lots of sprinkles!


Everything is better with sprinkles.


After a little time in the oven, we had the finished product!

As Micah says, DE-LI-CIOUS!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...