Friday, December 30, 2011

Leaning on the everlasting arms

Last night I was rocking my baby nephew to sleep, his little head cradled in the nook of my arm as his squeels and grunts quieted down to soft coos. I say grunts because he really does grunt sometimes. Unlike his sisters with their high-pitched screeches and squeals, his cries are more like manly grunts - he is a guy after all. And he is strong too! When he is excited, he flaps his arms and kicks so hard you have to really hang on to keep from dropping him! And the only place he calms down and his squirming and kicking legs come to rest is when he is cradled in your arms

So it is with us, dear reader. We too have a place of safety and security where our cries and complaints fade to silence and our frantic aching hearts can finally come to rest - in His everlasting arms.

Have you seen that movie True Grit? I love the interplay between the old gruff and time-hardened cowboy and the independent and self-reliant little girl, until difficult situations finally melt down their walls. And my heart always aches in that final scene where the cowboy carries the little girl to safety, going for miles with her little helpless body at last secure and at rest in his arms.

Oh dear reader how He wants to hold you like that. How He longs to cradle you in His arms. I know no other place of unquestioned, unchanging, unbroken peace than in His everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

1 comment:

Grace said...

almost made me cry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...