Thursday, November 24, 2011

Many times as much

"I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life." - Luke 18:29-30

This thanksgiving I'm thankful for family. I'm thankful for mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters all over the world.

My blood family and I are very close. We all live on different continents, but somehow or other we manage to stay connected and involved in each others' lives. We take care of each other. And before I moved overseas, I treasured these relationships more than anything in the world.

Giving up the closeness of family and forfeiting the ability to call up my mother anytime I wanted was one of the costliest parts of missions for me. So I used to read this verse and think, "That's crazy." There's no way in the world, I could ever have what I had with my family with anyone else in the world.

But I have since learned just how wrong I was. And this year I'm thankful for family, the kind of family who don't speak your mother tongue and have no clue about your culture but the kind of family who speak the language of your heart. The kind of sisters who invade your personal space but can always read your mind. The kind of brothers who tease you to no end but defend you like no other. The kind of fathers who make sure you always know how beautiful you are. And the kind of mothers who know your heart without ever saying a word. The kind of family who know you at your best and your worst and love you just the same.

They may not have the same blood in their veins and sometimes they may really get on your nerves, but, if like me, dear reader, you're lucky enough to have found family like that somewhere in the world, cherish them, love them, and be thankful.

I know I am.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 comments:

me said...

right back at you - thank you for allowing God to work in your life and heart and in the process giving us someone we want to treasure and defend and tease and love to bits.......see

Emily said...

love you too! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...