Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life Changes

Change. I don't like it.

But lately it seems that everything in my life is changing. Well, almost everything.

Last week, my favorite Saturday-morning coffee shop closed. Every Saturday morning for the last three years, I've gone to the same coffee shop, sat in the same seat, ordered the same food. Maybe that sounds really sad, but it's my routine, my little moment of sanity and normalcy in the chaos of my week.

I'm one of those people who likes routine. I like knowing that every Saturday morning I can count on my food being good, my coffee being hot, my seat being comfortable, and on having two hours with a good book. I think it's sort of comforting when living in a foreign country where everything is different, strange, unsure. These little routines, little habits, are sometimes the small sources of stability that you cling to.

Anyways, last week all that got turned upside down when my coffee shop closed to relocate - relocate to a different place in the mall, that is. It wasn't a big change I suppose, but it was just one more thing that seems to be changing lately. It's all small stuff mostly - sister-moving-in stuff, school stuff, and heart stuff. But it just feels that everything has suddenly been thrown out of balance and all that I knew to be certain and sure is uncertain and strange. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's all different and sometimes that's uncomfortable.

Anyways, Sunday morning when the coffee shop reopened, I was there, trying to get my bearings, assessing the layout, finding my new table, figuring out the new arrangements. And you know as much as I disliked having to give up what was so comfortable and familiar about the old shop, I had to admit that the new place was way better!

I think it's like that in life too. God sometimes asks us to abandon the comfortable and the known for the new and the better. He asks us to lay aside the familiar and the commonplace for the extraordinary and the exceptional. He asks us to give up the good so He can give us His best.

I'm not sure really where all this season of change is headed, and I can't yet see the new things He has for me, but I'm hanging in there, waiting for the awkwardness to fade away, battling through the uncertainty and the doubt, and believing that whatever new thing is ahead, it is good.

"For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that day." - 2 Tim. 1:12.

"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." - Phil. 1:6

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...