Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If at first you don't succeed...

Welcome to my teeny tiny kitchen...


...featuring my one pot (you're looking at it) and my one and half counter tops (that's the one - the half is behind me).

I think I can fairly say that I'm a pretty good baker. Cooking is another thing (I make no claims about my cooking skills), but baking...well, I think I've got that down. At least I USED to think I did. Recently, my baking attempts here in South Africa have seriously called into question my culinary skills!

I blame the Southern Hemisphere. I mean, the water flows a different direction, the measurements are in grams and milliliters instead of cups and tablespoons, the temperatures are in celsius - it's all very confusing. But back home, my baking is famous - ok, famous with my family and friends at least (see January's cheesecake phase). And it feels weird that people here don't know that part of me! So I keep trying.

My latest attempt was this Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread.


I admit, in the states I have a bread maker which makes all things dough-related WAY easier, but still, it shouldn't be that difficult to make a loaf of bread, right? Well, it took three faulty attempts and one inedible log of bread that ended up in the trash can, before I finally achieved this. (Please ignore my poor bread slicing skills).


And you wanna know the sad part? After two days of flour and dough and kneading and rising and waiting, I was so sick of this stuff that I couldn't even eat it... oh well, at least my house smells like a Cinnabon!

See, I CAN bake!


Please note that this is the pre-baked version.

Also please note my beautifully manicured nails. You can thank my nail technician of sister and some Brazilian friends whose meticulous nail care has inspired me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...