Monday, July 4, 2011

A patriotic expatriate

It’s 8:00pm. Just finishing up a LONG first day of the new term. I have to admit that I didn’t plan on spending four hours of the day in the emergency room with a sick student. And just for the record, I am THE WORST person to go to the emergency room with. I started getting weak in the knees when the guy next to us was having his finger operated on. There was lots of blood and very little to block the view. And then a cat walked through the operating room. Yes, that’s right. A cat.

TIA. This is Africa.

Now I’m going home to make some dinner and watch some “Outsourced”, which by the way is weirdly similar to my life. I find it hilarious and somehow comforting to watch someone else fumble their way through life in another country. Oh the joys of being an American overseas! Expatriates, I think they call us. That sounds really bad though, like I’m ex-patriotic or something. But in fact I’m very patriotic, and every year I live outside of my country, I am more and more grateful to be called an American and the privileges that it carries with it.

Happy 4th of July, from a very patriotic expatriate.

Now, someone please go eat a hotdog for me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...