Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hand in hand

When I was in Germany, I used to go jogging around a lake in the next village. It was cold, but beautiful with swans lingering around the water’s edge and warm golden sunlight sifting through leafy trees and reflecting on the icy water. And in the afternoon there were dozens of old couples there, sitting on the park benches watching the world go by and walking hand-in-hand around the lake. Maybe I’m just sentimental, but I think old people holding hands is one of the most romantic things in the world. I like to imagine what kind of secrets they share behind their soft smiles and wrinkled hands. What kind of storms they’ve weathered together. What kind of adventures they’ve shared. What kind of love story they’ve lived that brought them so far yet still so in love.

I like to think that when I’m old like that there’ll be someone who still likes to hold my hand. And we’ll putter along the sidewalk hand-in-hand smiling about secrets only we know.


"I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness, and will hold your hand, and will keep you, and give you for a covenant of the people, for a light to the nations." - Isaiah 42:6

3 comments:

me said...

my favourite post so far....by far.....

Emily said...

really? why? please explain...

Ji said...

It's so beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...