Thursday, June 30, 2011

Faith is not...

I’ve been thinking about faith lately. I’m currently reading a book by Catherine Marshall and watching a sermon series from North Point Community Church both on this topic. That and some circumstances in my life lately have got me thinking about what faith is.

It might seem like something pretty basic and something I should have figured out by now, but honestly all my reading and studying and long talks with God have lent themselves less to answers about what faith is than to what faith is not.

Faith is not an equation. It’s not some magical number of prayers or actions that add up to answers from God. It’s not praying loud enough or often enough or clever enough.

Faith is not demanding things of God. I’ve heard a lot of teachings on faith, which led me to believe that faith meant sort of pressuring God into doing what I wanted – it doesn’t. I don’t know much, but I’m sure that bossing around the Creator of the universe is pretty futile and besides that I’m pretty sure it doesn’t “please” Him.

Faith is not fatalistic. Somehow it is possible for unanswered prayers and faith to dwell together in complete harmony.

Faith is not hope. I think much of my life what I’ve called faith isn’t faith it all, but hope. Faith is not wishing that what you want might happen. It’s not hoping hard enough or wishing long enough for something to happen. I’m sure there were lots of sick people around Jesus who hoped to be healed, but it was to only a few that He said, “Your faith has made you well.” What did they have that the others’ didn’t?

Anyways, that’s all I have for now. I guess this post is sort of still in the making since I don’t have any exact answers yet. Maybe I need to finish the book or the sermon series first.

In the meantime, what do you think faith is? Please post your thoughts, your links, your quotes, your answers. 

I’m listening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...