Thursday, May 5, 2011

An addiction

I’m slightly addicted to food blogs. It all started when I was home this Christmas. My full-time job was cooking for the fam and extended family. This job came along with my mother’s fully stocked pantry and unlimited access to whatever ingredients I may need. I got to cook pretty much anything I could dream up and food blogs were my inspiration. Inspiration quickly snowballed into obsession and now full-on addiction.

This addiction poses four problems for me here in South Africa:

  1. I always seem to be at least one key ingredient short of any recipe I want to make. It never fails. On top of that, lots of ingredients that are readily available in America just can’t be found here or else are ridonkulously expensive. Yes, that’s right, riDONKulously! Things like chocolate chips, which I would say are pretty much a staple in American baking, seem to be nonexistent in South Africa and I’m not about to pay 10 dollars for some frozen berries!
  2. Cravings. Last week it was dumplings. This week it was tiramisu. Torture would be a better word. I don’t know why I put myself through this. I need help.
  3. Measurements. OK, the internet and that little conversion tool on my mac’s dashboard do make this a little bit easier these days. But still, it’s a pain to have to figure out what do when a recipe calls for 32 oz. of something and I have 500 grams. Ugh! 
  4. Finally, food blogs all have one thing in common – pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. This is wonderfully convenient if you are one of those visual people like me who likes to see each step of the cooking process AND if you are living in the land of unlimited internet. For those of us who have to pay for our internet by the megabyte, looking at food blogs is expensive! 
All in all, it’s a big problem. I should really do something about it…or maybe I should start my own food blog – something like the Expat’s Kitchen or African-American Eats. Hey, if you can’t beat them, join them, right?

So what food blogs am I reading, you may ask? Well a personal favorite is the Pioneer Woman. This is where it all began really. Her recipes are so practical and down-home delicious (albeit not as health-conscious as I would like). And she always includes lots of pictures.

Another favorite is Eat, Live, Run. If I could change lives with anyone, it would be this woman. Her blog is amazing. And I love everything she makes. It’s usually simple and healthy – a great combination! And she’s a Southerner, need I say more?

Good Life Eats is another fav. Wholesome deliciousness.

The Realistic Nutritionist is a great balance between eating healthy and still indulging the occasional chocolate/fried food craving.

And then there’s Joy the Baker who inspires me by her beautiful and yet healthful creations. Someday I’ll eat like that. Someday. 

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you start you won’t be able to stop. So proceed with care, and don’t say I didn’t warn you!

1 comment:

me said...

flip........i am STARVING after reading this post....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...