Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's in your hands?

Do you ever have those moments when you go from being perfectly happy and at peace with the world to being perfectly discontent? It can happen in a matter of seconds really. You log onto the internet on your beautiful new Macbook and see that Apple is releasing a later, better, more beautiful model. BOOM. Discontent. You settle down in your comfy new sofa and realize you have nowhere to put your feet. BOOM. Discontent. You’re enjoying your delicious dinner salad and a tray goes by with something incredible that you totally should have ordered instead. BOOM. Discontent. Sound familiar? OK, seriously, all laughing aside. You know what I mean. And I’m not talking about coveting what other people have. I’m talking about those moments when somehow your reality, your “now”, in light of all your dreams and desires suddenly goes from being more than enough to being just a little bit short of satisfaction.

Well, I had one of those moments this weekend. I walked into my lovely new flat after a great day with good friends and was settling down to watch a movie when this thought went through my mind, “I am so blessed. I feel just about perfectly happy right now.” That’s when I logged on the internet and discontentment hit me like a train.

What do you do in those moments? How do you overcome? Or do you just wallow in it, enjoying the sudden free-fall from bliss? I’ve been in the process of formulating an answer to this, not really sure what the solution was myself until I heard a teaching recently by Brian Houston. He talked about Moses and how he had these big dreams and desires to help the Israelites. But God looked at Him and said, “What is in your hands?” It was a staff, something normal, something mundane. That was Moses’ reality. That was his “now”. And that is what God used to bring about the calling on Moses’ life, to bring his dreams to fulfillment. I think God often looks at our whiny pathetic discontented selves and says, “Look what I have put in your hands.”

Well, here is what God has put in my hands right now. These 50+ students and staff from Brazil, Korea, Chile, Argentina, Switzerland, Angola, Burkina Faso, South Africa, Finland, and Madagascar.



I love them. I am so blessed. I love the fact that I am happy to go to work every day and be with people I love. And although it’s not some great and magnificent or adventurous work for God like I dream of, I know that as I am faithful with what I have in my hands, I can trust God to fulfill the purposes He has placed in my heart.

And that I think is the secret to battling discontent – the realization of, the thankfulness for, and the faithfulness with what He has put in our hands, with now, with the normal, mundane, yet magnificent things He has gifted us with right now. And as we are faithful with them, I believe God will bring to fulfillment the dreams and purposes He has placed in our heart.

So dear reader, what has He put in your hands?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...