Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Elizabeths

You know those rare kind of friends who are your both your same age and also at your same level spiritually - the kind of friends you can have a deep conversations with about your walk with God and also your secret affinity for Disney channel movies? My life is seriously lacking in those. Sure I’ve got tons of spiritually mature friends, but they’re all signifcantly older than me - not so many my age. Maybe that’s why I loved being home so much and hanging out with people my age, people who expect you to know all the lyrics to Taylor Swift songs and still think it's cool to talk about grace and prayer and prophecy and all that kind of stuff. This weekend I was reunited with an old friend just like that…in Denmark. We met in Australia, lived in Egypt…yeah it’s a crazy story.

Anyways, at her church on Sunday, the pastor shared from Luke about when the angel appeared to Mary to tell her that she, a virgin, was about to have a baby. That thought alone should kind of blow your mind. But as if that wasn’t enough, he told her that this baby would be the incarnation of God Himself and bring salvation to the world. If I was Mary, my response would probably be “yeah, right” or “wow, I must have eaten something strange last night” or “this is just in my head” or probably just straight out laughter. I mean how many times has God spoken something to you in the quiet of your heart and you’ve counted it off as just your imagination or some crazy thought. But the amazing thing is that Mary’s response is not one of doubt or denial but instead is simply, “Let it be to me according to your word,” (Luke 1:38). I love that.

After that she goes to visit Elizabeth, and this is what I think is amazing. When Elizabeth sees her, she says this, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!…Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.” (Luke 1:42-45)

Isn’t that amazing? I love that Elizabeth sees the destiny on Mary’s life. When Mary is still just a young simple girl engaged to be married and this promise of God is still just a tiny seed in her womb, Elizabeth sees the immense calling on her life and affirms that.

Over breakfast one morning this weekend, me and my friend were talking about mentors, and how important they are in our lives. I think everyone needs an Elizabeth in their life. Someone who can see the dreams and the callings and the promises of God in us and affirm them long before they come to fruition. Someone who speaks to your God-given dreams deep inside of you and calls them forth. When I look back on my life, I am so thankful for people who spoke destiny and callings over me way larger than I thought I was capable of and long before they were birthed in my life.

Do you have an Elizabeth in your life? More importantly who are you an Elizabeth to? Who in your life are you speaking destiny and dreams to, maybe even when they can’t see it yet themselves or when it’s still just a faintly remembered encounter with God, an inexpressible feeling in their gut, or a tiny seed in their heart? Maybe you can be the one to say to them, “Hey, you are gonna be blessed because you are believing that the Lord will do what He has said!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...