Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hope against hope

Here’s a pic of me and my sister, Grace, at the recent wedding.



Yep, we’re really different, I know. And yet I’m pretty sure, we have the same biological parents. Weird, huh? But as completely different as we are, we are still really close. I already miss her like crazy.

One of the things I love about Grace is that she has hope. She has hope in God and hope in people. It takes a lot for her to lose hope in someone. Although there are a few scumbags I would like her to give up on (ahem…), I think that’s actually why I love her so much. When the future looks relatively bleak or when people let her down, she still sees possibility and hope in God and in people.

I am significantly lacking in both.

I will all too easily write off a person or a situation as hopeless or a waste of time or money or heartache. To me, it makes more sense sometimes to stop hoping so that I won’t be disappointed. But recently God has been challenging me with one verse that keeps coming back to me, Romans 4:18, where it says that Abraham “against all hope, in hope believed” or “contrary to hope, in hope believed”. In other words when there was no reason to hope, when the situation looked completely hopeless, he still had hope. I mean think about Abraham, the facts were pretty much stacked against him - age and time alone! But it says that when there was no reason to hope or to expect the fulfillment of God’s promise, he still believed. He still had hope.

Can you still expect good when the facts are stacked against you? Can you hope against hope? Are there people or situations that you have given up on? Right now I can think of at least three in my life. And while all rational reason says otherwise, God is still asking me to hope, to expect good when disappointment seems sure – to hope against hope. 

To be honest, I'm not sure how to do that, but I think Psalm 42 is a good place to start. It always stirs up my spirit to hope again...well, that and a long Starbucks chat (or Skype chat) with Grace :)

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful” – Hebrews 10:23

2 comments:

Grace said...

I love you!
i always thought that was what you disliked most about me, interesting finding out otherwise

skype date soon, i wanna hear more about germany

i love you and miss you already too, my beloved

Emily said...

love you too, my beloved <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...