Monday, January 10, 2011

Re-resolutions

This verse has me captivated right now:
“The secret things belong to the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.” – Deuteronomy 29:29 
I rang in the New Year in Richmond with my sister and some friends. We had a blast! And as the clock was ticking down just before midnight someone asked, “How do you feel about saying goodbye to 2010?”

How do I feel?

That’s a big question.

In the time since that moment, I’ve been looking back on the past year and trying to figure out what my answer would be and this verse keeps coming to mind:
“The secret things belong to the LORD” 
The secret things. The unanswered prayers. The unexpected outcomes. The decisions that you wished went a different way. The dreams that were left unfulfilled.

I hate the unknown and uncertainty. I like things straight forward, clear. I like plans. I want answers. I want to know why. And sometimes God in His great omniscience is silent, asking me simply to trust Him.

I’m not a person to make New Years resolutions, but looking back on 2010, I have a resolution in reverse, a sort of re-resolution, if you will. And that is this, to trust God with the secret things of last year - all that I didn’t understand, all that seemed like mistakes or like wrong turns, or sometimes like long walks in the dark. To enjoy what He has revealed to me now and to trust Him with the rest because, although it might not have matched-up with mine exactly, perhaps He did in fact have a plan in all of that…a better one maybe? 

Anyways, that’s my re-resolution. What’s yours?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...