Friday, November 12, 2010

Can you hear me now?

One of my all-time favourite sms’s I received was when I was living in the bush bush in Kenya from my sister in the states to tell me news from my brother in Guam (did you follow all that?) to say that my “niece was born tomorrow.” Yes, that sentence is grammatically correct. Communication is pretty complicated when your family is spread out around the globe. I feel like I am forever adding or subtracting hours on my fingers to figure out when I can call.

Now that my sister and brother and I are all living in the same time zone, there’s a little less math involved, but communication is still not much easier since my sister is living in the bush bush and has to climb a little hill to the outhouse to get reception which means she inevitably gets the news very late. The other day she got three days-worth of messages all at once first with news that Grandma was dying and two messages later news that she miraculously pulled through. You can imagine the kind of emotional rollercoaster she went through in about three seconds.

Gone are the days that I have to stand under palm trees waving my phone in the air trying to get a signal, but still the internet in South Africa is not so good, so the first phrase I always yell across the phone is “Mama! Can you hear me?” Mom thinks it’s a great joke to pretend she doesn’t hear me and go on yelling “Emma?! Emma?! Emma?!” on the other end till I finally catch on. We do this every… single… time… I call. Yep, we have a “special” relationship.

It’s the same at the school. I can make a beautiful powerpoint, send out an email, post a notice, make a verbal announcement have it translated in three languages and still somehow someone doesn’t get the message.

I find sometimes with all the communication problems in my life I often assume the same thing with God. I pray for the same thing day in and day out, keep making the same requests and sometimes when I don’t feel like He hears me, I chalk it up to bad reception. I sometimes forget it’s not the same with God. He hears us the very first time we call. We don’t have to yell or wait for a good day, we don’t have to ask a thousand times over just to be sure the request gets through. We don’t have to climb a mountain or yell His name for Him to hear us. He doesn’t need translation or printed notices. The very first time we ask, He hears.

“Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.” - Isaiah 65:24

And

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.” - 1 John 5:14-15

At least that’s one communication breakdown I DON'T have to worry about.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...