Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Right vs. Relationship

What is your response when you advise someone that they are making a wrong decision but they don’t listen to you and do it anyways and fail and later realize you were right? This has happened several times lately and I have been appalled by my own self-righteous response, which, I must admit, is more happy at my own rightness than sad at their situation.

I enjoy being right, sometimes too much. We did this strength finder program at our base recently and one of the things I am learning is that sometimes your greatest strengths are also your greatest weaknesses. My number one strength is competition. I love to compete and test myself against other competitors and of course I love to win. But sometimes I think I value winning more than I value people. Sometimes I value being right more than being in relationship.

The other day I was telling Mom about a situation I had with a guy who was trying to help me out, but was going about it completely incorrectly. I of course showed him up being that I knew exactly what needed to be done, and Mom said, “Em, sometimes it’s OK to be wrong when there’s a cute guy in the picture.” OK, take out the cute guy part, and it’s pretty true. Sometimes to be in relationship with people, people you work with, people you live with, family, friends, maybe it’s necessary to lay down your right to being right for the sake of relationship. Maybe it’s OK if they make a few mistakes, even though you know how to avoid it, if it means you’ll be there in the dirt working beside them. Maybe it’s OK if they fail, even though you know how to win, if it means you’ll be there to comfort them when it’s over. Maybe it’s OK if the work is a little slower or a little longer, even though you know the fastest way, if it means you’ll walk a little farther right next to them. Maybe it’s OK to be wrong if it means someone you love gets to be right. I mean I guess that’s what Jesus did for us. He was perfect! But He was willing to be called wrong to be in a relationship with us. The question is: am I?

“For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” – 1 Corinthians 5:21




P.S. I’m on a writing kick lately. I’ve not been “in the mood” to write anything for quite a while. I’m the sort of person who has to have inspiration to write. Sure I can write good stuff anytime, but when creativity hits (which is totally unpredictable) I can write amazing stuff. Lately, the creativity has been flowing (which is a good sign) which means more blogging. Enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...