Monday, May 31, 2010

His leading

Lately I’ve been meditating on the complexities of God’s leading. I can’t get away from this passage from Psalm 66:

“Oh, bless our God, you peoples!...
For You, O God, have tested us;
You have refined us as silver is refined.
You brought us into the net;
You laid affliction on our backs.
You have caused men to ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water;
But You brought us out to rich fulfillment.”

How mind blowing is it that God, not the enemy, brought us into the net that He, not the people around us, laid affliction on our backs, that He caused men to ride over our heads! What do you do with that?

I guess it depends a little on your theology. For me right now as I look at the difficult circumstances and situations which I have been walking through, I find that I keep saying, “Why are you allowing this God?” But what if He didn’t just allow it, what if He actually led me into it? What if he brought me into this place? What if He doesn’t simply use the afflictions for my good, but what if He actually creates and orchestrates these very circumstances for my refinement? What if He actually leads me into the fire and the overwhelming water?

I don’t know about you, but that thought is mind boggling to me. It sparks some resolve in my heart to keep marching on and at the same time gives me comfort that perhaps these situations which seem completely overwhelming and unmanageable right now are in fact very much under His control and that when He has tested me and refined me He will indeed bring me out to rich fulfillment. And in that promise there is hope, so that in the meantime, I can say to my soul, “Bless our God!” Yes, bless our God.

1 comment:

franceSujong said...

HeY. Its nice to read your blog. I really pray that you will find that God is leading you every step of the way, Emily :) Every time I leave Worcester, when I look back on my time there, I realize how much God was actually training me for this time outside the base. And then a pain goes through my heart as I miss everyone there. May you know how close you are to Him, and that He is sitting next to you even in the times you think you are alone. He loves you and cares for you deeply. With love, Frances Romans 8:28-29 and Romans 8:1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...