Saturday, April 11, 2009

Graduation, holiday, Dad, and a new term

Graduation has come and gone. We had a fun celebration brunch as usual and a final graduation that evening. It's always rewarding at the end of the term to see how far the students have come. I am so proud of them!

After graduation, we had a few more days of work. The last Friday before holiday, me, the director and another staff member worked for 14 hours straight finalizing the budget for the last term and setting the budget for the next term - 14 hours!

On Monday, I rented a car and drove to Cape Town to pick up Dad from the airport. It was my first experience driving on the other side of the road (except for a few times in the bush, but that doesn't really count 'cause there aren't any real roads or other cars). Thankfully a couple of the guys went with me and kept reminding me "Left, left, left." Haha. It turned out OK though and by the end of the week, I felt like I have really mastered the whole driving on the left thing.

Dad and I had a wonderful holiday together (I know, "holiday" is so British, but I can't help it. It has infiltrated my vocabulary along with "eh" at the end of every sentence). We stayed in a nice hotel for two nights in Cape Town and toured around the city. Then we drove out to my base where we stayed for two nights and visited a few little towns in the area. We went to this one town which was settled by the French Huguenots. The history of the Huguenots is so inspiring. Dad bought me a pendant with the Huguenot cross on it. Check out the last post for the history of the Huguenot cross. This little town is like a little piece of France in the middle of South Africa, and has several of the top 50 restaurants in the world there! Dad and I ate the best meal of our lives there for a total of $20 for both of us together! It was incredible. Every bite was like our taste buds were having a little party in our mouth. Seriously, every other meal for the rest of my life will be a disappointment.

The last two nights of the week, the His People church in Cape Town put us up in a really nice 4 star hotel near Stellenbosch. Each night housekeeping would knock on the door and bring me a weather forecast the for the next day and a chocolate for my pillow! I was in heaven. We toured the nearby town of Stellenbosch and I found a great pizza place - not quite Christians, but close. We also saw several beautiful sunsets on the beaches around Cape Town, ate delicious meals everyday, and went shopping at real malls. It was really a fabulous holiday. I couldn't have asked for more.

On the last Sunday, Dad preached in the His People church to a congregation of about 4000 people. Then he stayed in Cape Town to teach another seminar, while I went home to start the new term. After his seminar finished, Dad drove over to Worcester for his last day and got to address the English Language School and see me teach. That was fun. Yesterday, I sent him home I have to admit it wasn't easy knowing that he's going home to see mom and grace and everyone and I am not.

But I am looking forward to the term ahead. The Word God gave me for this term is to do all that I do "with all my heart" (Colossians 3:23). This requires a conscious effort every day and it has become my prayer each morning that I will be able to love and teach and work "with all my heart" which means not half-heartedly or whilst wishing I was somewhere else or had something I don't have but to really do it all with my WHOLE heart. Pray for me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...