Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"When nothing satisfies you..."

When I was little, I used to wonder what it would be like to be with all my friends 24-7 just living life together. I guess that's kind of what it's like where I'm living now on the YWAM base except I am living with about 100 people who are my "friends" not by choice but by God's planning. We eat, sleep, learn, teach, play and worship God together. It's not exactly the same as I imagined when I was little. There are a lot of challenges and a few days when you just wish you really didn't have to see a certain person for a day. Living in community doesn't afford you the opportunity to avoid the people you "don't like" or to foster any broken relationships with anyone. It sort of forces a healthy openness and honesty with people around you that is challenging and messy at times but also really, really good.

I was thinking about that today, how often I see my students! I mean I teach my students, live in a dorm with my students, eat with my students, workout with my students, go to the grocery store with my students...everything! And while I am sure they know far more about my life than I would probably choose to reveal if given the choice, this sense of always being watched holds me accountable for my actions, my attitudes, and every area of my life and the collective sense of calling and purpose in Christ inspires me in my walk with God...and in the end it is good to be known.

Oh and by the way, that title has nothing to do with my post. It just happens to be the name of the Jennifer Knapp Song I'm listening to while I write this. It's a good song.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...