Friday, August 15, 2008

Maize, maize, and more maize

So the wedding is over. It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun,
and now the base seems very quiet with all the wedding excitement
over. It was fun having a team from Harrisonburg here for a few days
too. There were over 400 people at the wedding. The whole village
turns up for weddings apparently. All the village mamas came the day
before to cook for the wedding - it's really a community thing here
which is really cool.

Now that the wedding is over, we are settling back into normal life.
The kids are home this week on a school holiday and we have been busy
harvesting maize. We have to take all the kernels off the cob by hand
which is a long process that has left my thumbs quite sore. It's fun
though 'cause everyone sits around telling stories while we do work.
Then we have to pound the maize and send it to a factory to be ground
into flour for ugali.

I haven't been sleeping well lately. Please pray for me. Besides all
the normal bush bush noises it is mango season and the mangos fall
from the tree above my house and hit the tin roof with a bang that
sounds pretty near to a gun shot. It nearly makes me jump out of my
skin every single time. On top of that, I am sharing my house with a
family of rats. Normally they wouldn't bother me except for the fact
that they have taken to running around the rim of my bed during the
night. The little patter of their feet always makes me think they are
inside my bed with me and I turn on my flashlight to check. The other
night we set a trap. I was laying in bed trying desperately to fall
alseep and hearing the rats playing around my bed. So I prayed, "Lord
you shut the mouths of the lions in the den with Daniel and you made
the donkey speak to Balaam and you sent an angel to appear to Paul's
donkey on the way to Damascus, so could you please just make these
rats go away so I can sleep tonight." (It sounds funny now I know, but
at the time I was pretty desperate). A few seconds later I heard a
*snap* followed by silence and I got my first goodnight's rest in a
long time. So please pray for me to continue sleeping well and for the
rest of the little critters to go away.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...