Sunday, June 1, 2008

Despair

Was feeling lonely and homesick today, and God said, "Read your Bible." So I did. When I opened my devotional for today, I read this:

“I implore you not to give in to despair. It is a dangerous temptation, because our Adversary has refined it to the point that it is quite subtle. Hopelessness constricts and withers the heart, rendering it unable to sense God’s blessings and grace. It also causes you to exaggerate the adversities of life and makes your burdens seem too heavy for you to bear. Yet God’s plans for you and His ways of bringing about His plans are infinitely wise.” – Madame Guyon

That is so true! Despair and hopelessness are so subtle yet so debilitating. They sneak up on you in those lonely moments and if you sit and wallow in them they slowly strangle all the energy and life out of you.

Funny how God always sends someone along in those moments when I am tempted to despair. Out of the blue, I get a letter or a package or someone brings me a gift or cooks me something special or takes me out to eat or knocks at the door just at the right moment just to say "hi" and encourage me - it never fails. I like to think that at that moment, someone, somewhere was praying for me. So thank you.

2 comments:

yinky said...

hi!! :) i got your prayer letter a few days ago. it's the only snail mail i ever get (minus bills and bank statements) ... thanks + praying for you.

<3

yinky said...

hi!! :) i got your prayer letter a few days ago. it's the only snail mail i ever get (minus bills and bank statements) ... thanks + praying for you.

<3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...