Wednesday, February 13, 2008

He will make my feet like deer's feet...

"...and will make me walk on my high hills" - Habakkuk 3:19

That is one of my favorite Bible verses and God just keeps reminding me of it here in Worcester surrounded by the beautiful, beautiful green mountains on all sides. Worcester, South Africa is situated about an hour from Capetown in a lush green valley.

My flight here was the best international flight I have every been on - answer to prayer! I had an aisle seat and there was no one next to me so I got to stretch out and relax. It was wonderful!

I have begun to settle into life here on the YWAM base. It's a big base with about 150 people here at any given time. I have my own room and bathroom which is a great bonus.

There are about 40 students in the English Language School here. I am teaching Level 3. I had forgotten how much I just love teaching English! One of my students is a 43 year old Korean pastor, who is so sweet. He serves on the base here and is eager to learn English so he can minister in South Africa. He is always cleaning up my classroom or cleaning the white board for me - I feel so honored to teach him! The Korean students love the fact that I know a few things about Korea thanks to my sister-in-law.

Once a week, we take all the students on outreach to a local school. Today, we went to a school in a very poor farm area just outside of town. A lot of the children suffer disabilities or other negative effects as a result of alcohol poisoning and incest. It was lovely to see them light up and have fun as they were responding to our students' presentations. None of them speak English and none of our students speak Africans, but it is amazing to see them interacting with each other and having fun. They all rush you to get a hug when you leave!

My days are very full with teaching and preparing, and I am enjoying every moment of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
We read you post tonight, and we are glad things have gone well for you. We miss you, we are praying for you, and we look forward to joining you next January. Hee hee.

The Perez Family

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...